Tour of Bright - Preparation

11:08 pm Unknown 0 Comments

Since the last major cycling race, I've been clocking up the kilometres and watching every calorie in preparation for the Tour of Bright.

TOB  time is cherry season!

This will be my third year racing in the women's field and I've been following it for years as a major fan of this race. My first year racing back in 2011 - all I wanted to do was get fast enough to ride the tour de burbs and finish the Tour of Bright - I finished 6th Overall in B-Grade and 1st in Stage 2 Time Trial.  I'm not sure I ever finished with the informal burbs group!

Last year I finished in 7th place in B-grade and got a personal best time on the TT course. I was super motivated to better that this year in 2013.

Still a bit of snow on top of Mt Hotham!

I really enjoy riding in the hills and it has been great training over the last few weeks. Since the long weekend in November, I have been lucky enough to spend 2 weekends up riding the courses and checking out the new Time Trial route. It's not like the Wandiligong rolling hill course, but change is good, and making the race into a 3 day epic adventure gives it the stature it deserves.

Sunset on the Hume Fwy - heading to the hills
This year will be the first time a women's C-Grade event is run and a tour fondo for supporters to ride the same course. I wish that they had these rides when I was back supporting the guys race their events! Instead it was an epic adventure for me to even ride up Tawonga Gap to try cheer them on before the finish (when they had the descent and finish line back towards Bright).

Mt Beauty Bakery stop

Cycling is great sport to challenge yourself and see your progression and listen to (in some cases ignore) your body. We spend the evenings pouring over the weather patterns for the next day to get optimum kilometres in, predict wind direction for races and most importantly working out what layers to wear/carry!

No time to explain - get on the Kosdown train!

Whatever the result in 2 weeks, I've enjoyed the weekends away with my team. I've enjoyed the training rides with mates. I've enjoyed the hills - Bring on the tour!

Me in 2007 climbing to the top of Tawonga to see the boys race!

You Might Also Like