Sam Miranda Tour of the King Valley - Stage 1 - TT

11:30 pm Unknown 0 Comments

My guest ride for Building Champions Squad

Massive selfie - Von in Building Champion Squad kit
A few months ago I was approached to guest ride for one of the National Road Series teams and I was slightly apprehensive that I would be ready to race at that level, but I worked on the areas consistently that needed more attention to iron out the nerves and I was ready to line up with my new teamies for the weekend - Tayor Evans, Minda Murray, Georgia Vessey and my old team mate Emma Pane.

Full Start List

Stage 1 - 20km Time Trial

So I was a little excited to see the course for the TT was pretty flat. I went out the day before the race to do a recon and found the race organisers setting up and we had a little joke around with the start ramp and the newly flattened speed humps. I think they were pretty excited by the event too.

Sam from Sam Miranda Winery helping me out with my TT launch ramp testing
If I could get the pacing right this time I had hoped to make it into the top half of the field. We had been told that the time cut of 20% of the winners time was going to be enforced strictly and we wanted all of the team to finish all of the stages.

Practicing at the turn around of the TT during the recon ride
That night the rest of the team assembled for the course breakdown delivered by Shane Miller, National Masters TT Champion. Based on our recon ride he had the details to share with the team who had not seen or ridden it before.

Shane going through the TT course in detail with Geoff listening intently.
I arrived the next morning to perfect weather, sunny skies and little wind. This TT was going to be FAST! Predictions of a sub 30min time were thrown around and were right on the money with Rebecca WIASAK (SZB) coming in at 29:24.62.
Rolling out of the start ramp at Dal Zotto Wines 
I was pretty happy with my ride and came close to my team mate Minda who was the fastest of us all!! I had a pretty solid ride, achieved my goal of being in the top half and exceeded it by coming in 27th spot.

Full Stage 1 Result List

Minda Murray in full kit and totally decked out with the help of Ash Hall Cycles
Next up on the same day, Stage 2 Criterium at Wangaratta Airport.



Feeling FAST


Thule - our RAD spares vehicle for the whole weekend of racing! I think I see a 2015 Specialized Amira on there!

You Might Also Like